Enroll at Nova
Posted: | Updated:
Any currently enrolled high school student within Seattle Public Schools can transfer to Nova at any time during the year. We highly recommend transferring at the semester, quarter, or beginning of the year in order to complete as much credit as possible and to enable a smooth transition. Prospective 9th-grade students can also enroll for the upcoming year.
Please note that Nova is an Alternative Learning Experience school. We are able to create individualized learning plans for students, however, here are some of our Nova agreements and requirements (a full list of the norms can be found here). Please consider if you and your family are able to adhere to these agreements and requirements before coming to Nova.
- The student signs in daily or text/call/email excused absence.
- Students need to be active in their communication and education. The student attends and participates in the schedule they create with their coordinator.
- Family communication goes through the student and the coordinator, not individual teachers. The student facilitates family meetings as needed (when requested by student, family, or coordinator). Nova does not call home to report absences each day.
- The student participates in school decision making through coor and committees. The student attends Coor weekly, on Mondays.
- Each department has developed social justice competencies that are integrated into classes students will take to acquire the credits in Language Arts, History, Science, Art, and Math to move toward graduation. The student is actively involved in classes and projects where they will engage with social justice competencies.
To learn more about Nova:
- Visit our Virtual Open House
- All incoming or prospective students must attend an orientation on Zoom. Orientations are on select Wednesday afternoons from 2:05 to 2:45.
- Orientations for 8th graders in spring of 2022 are on March 2nd, March 16th, April 6th, April 20th, May 4th, May 18th, and June 1st.
- Orientations for transfer students in spring of 2022 are on March 9th, April 6th, April 27th, May 11th, and June 8th.
- Please call the main office at 206-252-3500 to register and for more information.
To enroll at Nova for 8th Graders:
- If you are participating in the Open Enrollment for a current SPS student, please submit the school choice application through The Source, which will allow you to review the receipt status of your application. If you are using a pdf form, e-mail your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit https://www.seattleschools.org/enroll/about-our-schools/school-choice/ to access PDF’s of the School Choice Form.
- Open enrollment is February 1st – February 28th
- Last day of school choice is May 31st
To enroll at Nova for high school transfer students within Seattle Public Schools:
- Email email@example.com and specify that the student will opt out of their assigned school and opt into Nova.
To enroll at Nova for high school transfer students as a non-resident:
- Non-resident enrollment timeline is only from June 1st to August 31st, 2022.
- Visit https://www.seattleschools.org/enroll/non-resident-students/ for more enrollment information.